The Ohio Newspapers Foundation will award a scholarship to a student from northern Ohio who is currently enrolled and majoring in a field relevant to our industry, particularly journalism, advertising, marketing, or communications degree program at an Ohio college or university. The scholarship is named for Harold K. Douthit, founder of Douthit Communications, Inc., Sandusky, and a former president of The Ohio Newspaper Association.
- Applicant must have graduated from a high school in Cuyahoga, Lorain, Huron, Erie, Wood, Geauga, Sandusky, Ottawa or Lucas county
- Applicant must be enrolled as a sophomore, junior or senior at an Ohio college or university for the upcoming school year
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 (B) is required. The student's college transcript must accompany the application
- Application form must be typed or printed legibly by the applicant. (The application form on the reverse side may be photocopied)
- Students must demonstrate the ability to write clearly in an autobiography of 750 to 1,000 words describing academic and career interests, awards, extracurricular activities and any journalismrelated activities. The essay should include reasons for financial assistance
- Applications must be accompanied by two letters of recommendation from college or university faculty members familiar with the student's work and career interests, with special emphasis on the student's financial need
- Students are encouraged to provide writing samples, articles, or other relevant work samples that have been published in print or digital formats (limit to two, please)
For more information or to apply.